Having discussed Taiwan last week, we’ll turn our attention tomorrow to another neighbor of China–Australia. This country straddles a close relationship with the U.S. (including the “Five Eyes” alliance) and a strong (and, apparently, growing) economic relationship with China.
- How can the Australians manage this straddling position?
- What sort of circumstances would force them to choose a side?
- What can (or should) the U.S. do to strengthen the relationship?
- How important is the U.S.-Australia relationship?
- To the U.S.?
- To Australia?
- How should we expect Australia to adjust its strategic alliances over time?
- With the prospect of growing Chinese influence in the region?
I’m sure there’ll be more to discuss.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.