Next Monday, we plan to examine “bribery.” We can discuss questions such as:
- How should U.S. companies operate in countries in which bribes (or whatever somewhat broader term you might prefer) are a de facto part of doing business?
- Does the “Foreign Corrupt Practices Act” unduly disadvantage U.S. businesses (and, therefore, the U.S. economy, labor force, etc.)?
- How should U.S. companies with a global customer base compete in these difficult environments? Would abstention make a difference?
- More broadly, what constitutes a “bribe,” as opposed to other transactions between parties?
- For example, to what extent do any of the allegations against our current President constitute “bribes?”