This topic was discussed on November 18, 2013.
- Are affirmative action programs inherently discriminatory?
- Have they successfully served their original purpose?
- If not, what criteria should be applied in determining when to end these programs?
- How should the Supreme Court have ruled in the University of Texas case (if not sent back on narrow procedural grounds)? Why?
- On what basis (if any) should affirmative action be applied?
- Economic status?
- What does this imply about the notion of “disparate impact” (in which no intent to discriminate is proven, only an adverse statistical relationship) in applying civil rights law?
Here is a recent NYT article on at least one aspect of the issue: