With Donald Trump a declared candidate and Joe Biden (or at least Jill) heavily signaling that he will run again, we’ll discuss those prospective candidates and, more generally, presidential candidacy:
- Will Biden run again?
- If so, how would that affect other 2024 down-ballot candidates?
- Will anyone (with stature) run against him in the primaries?
- How should we interpret his proposal to reconfigure the primary calendar?
- How will Trump’s candidacy play out?
- Can another Republican (DeSantis, others) beat him?
- If you were political advisor to, say DeSantis, how would you advise him to run his campaign?
- What do we want in a president?
- A technocrat who knows how to “get things done” in office? (Is “getting things done” more important than what gets done?)
- A popular personality with lots of name recognition, backed (hopefully) by staff who know how to get things done within government?
- In terms of government background:
- A current or former governor (with executive experience)?
- A senator (or representative) with legislative experience?
- Someone from outside the D.C. “cocoon” who may have a better handle on the issues and priorities of regular people?
Should be interesting…